Ryan In J-School

I'm a student at Columbia School of Journalism in New York City. I created this blog on the off chance that anyone will be interested in keeping up with what I'm doing in J-School. It may or may not be mildly interesting. We'll see how it goes.

Name:
Location: New York, New York

Friday, May 18, 2007

All right, everyone who's bugged me for not updating

You know who you are. It was just pretty crazy the last few weeks of school and updating the blog was at the bottom of the list. But as of Wednesday afternoon, I am a graduate of the journalism school and don't yet have a job, so I've got nothing but time. For starters, I'm passing along some photos and videos of graduation. I don't have anything particularly clever to say about them right now, but I'll write more later.

My photos are on Flickr, check them out here. I didn't take a whole lot of pictures, actually, but you get the idea. 40,000-odd people crammed into the quad. It was a scene, man.

The graduation page on the J-school site has a photo of the entire class (I'm in the back row, under the "Founded by Joseph Pulitzer 1912" sign on the wall -- get out your magnifying glass) and audio of the addresses for the two J-school commencement ceremonies. You didn't even to fly to New York, you could have just watched it online!

Ditto the entire two-hour university commencement, which is online here, not that I recommend you watch the whole thing. It's at the bottom of the page, click on "University Commencement, Event Archive (Real Player)". The J-school gets its degrees at one hour, ten minutes and about 10 seconds in: 1:10:10, just skip RealPlayer ahead to that point and hear us drown out Nick Lemann's speech with chants of "J-school! J-school! J-school!"

There was a photo of the bleachers in the New York Times on Thursday, and if you squint, you could see my face in the crowd. Alas, it was just a photo and not an article, so it's not online. But you can read the story of J-school commencement from the Columbia newspaper here.

Here are two little videos I took from the bleachers during the commencement ceremony with my little $90 digital photo camera, which explains the quality. First is the procession, for anyone who's a Pomp and Circumstance junkie.



This is the grand finale, after degrees were awarded and they blasted an appropriate song over the PA system.



The J-school ceremony was held at the same time as Columbia Class Day, so we missed the address by this year's illustrious speaker. In the past it's been Tony Kushner and John McCain, this year we got...Matthew Fox, the star of Lost. After all the whining and complaining among students about having a TV star as a commencement speaker, I think his speech was very nice -- amusingly self-deprecating but also thoughtful and heartfelt. What else would you expect from Dr. Jack Shephard? I didn't shoot this video, but it was on YouTube.



More soon. I swear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home